[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

PVC, Re. Bert's response on Pyrex

----------
From:  Bert Hickman [SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, March 05, 1998 12:50 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: PVC,  Re. Bert's response on Pyrex

Tesla List wrote:

> ----------

Alfred,

My original reply was regarding an earlier post to answer a question
about Pyrex from Jim Heagy. Although my response was requoted in the
last post, it lost some of its context since the earlier posts were not
also requoted. It was the earlier posting that directly compared Pyrex,
PVC, and cardboard coilforms.

However, I still stand by that post. There's a BIG difference between
using glass, Pyrex, or PVC as a dielectric in a tank capacitor and using
it as a coilform. PVC and Pyrex make excellent coilforms based more on
their dielectric strength and low leakage current than their dielectric
loss characteristics. Dielectric losses in a coilform are simply more of
a secondary (npi :^)) concern.

However, the simple fact is that Pyrex, with a loss tangent of 36-40 x
10^-4, has less than 1/20 the dielectric loss of PVC, at 800-1200 x
10^-4. Heck, Pyrex was even used as a coilform by Breit, Tuve, and Dahl
for their oil-immersed 5 MV, 100 kHz coil ("High Voltage Laboratory
Technique", page 109, Meek and Craggs). While they probably would have
used PVC had it been available back then, I doubt that cardboard would
have worked as well as Pyrex.

I also contend that, although you might be able to measure differences
in instrumented Q between identically wound coils on these materials,
there will be virtually NO performance difference when the sparks are a
flyin', since other factors (streamer losses in particular) will easily
drop the effective secondary Q by an order of magnitude.

However, if you've got a leaky coilform, that's a different story.  I'm
not disputing that you can make wooden or cardboard coilforms that will
work well after proper pretreatment. And for larger coils there may be
no other readily available, affordable alternative. Heck, Ed Wingate
gets great performance from large cardboard resonators with no
pretreatment! However, I also suspect that cardboard's voltage-standoff
and leakage current characteristics are not as good as some of the other