[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Last light >:-| (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 19:22:19 -0500
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Last light >:-| (fwd)

Hi Chip:

Too bad about the difficulties on your last test.  I have to admit that some
of what you described is similar to what happened on my coil last spring,
when I first fired it up.  The first item that caught my attention is the
toroid size, which you already pointed out.  On my 8" diameter secondary
from two years ago I employed a 6" by 40" toroid with great success.  I
simply placed the toroid on top of a 6" high piece of PVC tube and then ran
the wire from the secondary up to a connection point near the center line of
the toroid.  This is the toroid that I stiffened with some 3/32" thick
modeling plywood.  I jammed the wire in between the ply and the toroid
surface and it caught fire on about the 5 th or 6th run.  Sorta neat with
little resulting damage.  I would really recommend a larger toroid before
your next run and I would also review the coupling.

On my 15" secondary I got arcing from primary to secondary, which shorted a
turn just like yours.  This one had the toroid that was about 10" x 56".
This secondary had a very heavy coat of the good ol' Behr Super Build 50
product on it and it didn't help at all.  You asked about wire size, I also
used #22 on the 8" diameter secondary, not too much different than your
coil.  One item that I'm not sure of from your note Chip -- did you have
another larger toroid above the 10 x 3" corona shield one?

Chuck Curran