[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Massive Confusion.

Someone that is using a welder as a ballast, I would like to talk to you
about your current measurements. Something is very confusing about my
setup.
I am using a lincon 225A welder as ballast for my pig. I shorted the output
of the pig, and took current readings with a borrowed current probe.
I got the following readings :
Welder  | AC Current
40A	  |	20A
60A	  |	28A
75A	  |	33.7A
90A     |   40A
105A	  |   47.4A
120A	  |   52.3A
At this point, I got worried, as I only have a 5KVA pig, and this represents
almost 12KVA input power, if you belive the readings. What bothers me, is
this
is 50% of the setting.. and the welder wants a 50amp breaker. Mind you, my
30A fuses were fat-dumb-happy at this setting.
So I cranked it up to 225A setting. At this point, I showed 90A on my meter
and finally my 30A fuse popped. (note that for this, I bypassed the pig)
This makes *no* sense to me. [though the readings are consistant with
what I measured via a resistor in line] its almost like the readings are
100% of the true readings.
This leads to 2 questions:
1) will someone that uses a Lincon welder and can measure the current please
   check their values at the above settings.
2) Just how far can I push a 5KVA pig without it going *POOF*.

I admit I am a little disappointed.. I was hoping to be able to start at
about
2KVA, but if these numbers are correct, the minimum I have is 4.8KVA :/

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net
http://www.access1-dot-net/mycroft