[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Self-built power transformer

Hi Doug,
           A much better option to improve current handling
capability is to n-filar wind the primaries. If you wind primaries
one on top of the other, they will all have different diameters and
different amounts of copper in them. Since they are not identical,
there will be a power loss associated with the differences. It
mightn't be great but it will be there.

Malcolm

 > Date forwarded: Wed, 30 Sep 1998
19:36:29 - 0600 > Date sent:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:43:57 -0600
> To:             tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:        Re: Self-built power transformer
> Forwarded by:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> From:           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Slight misinterpretation, it appears. I was talking about 8 primary turns.
> I would put
> the windings on top of each other and parallel them, thus giving me an
> inductor with the
> same value but capable of handling more current. According to my
> information, 32 AWG can
> take 1 or 2 amps, and 24 can take 6, so with 5 layers paralleled, it can
> take 30. It'll
> be in oil anyway, so I have some margin for error.
>
> As for the losses issue, I think I have a solution to it--tell me what you
> think. I'd
> magnetically couple it on both ends (probably run some thick bolts from the
> core) to the
> caps of the iron pipe it will be enclosed in. Therefore, I'd have something
> like the
> double E, except all the way around.

SNIP>