[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is high coil frequency a bad thing?

Doug,
I personally believe a lower frequency coil will give a better performing
sparklength and type, but only if the coil is built correctly. I believe
this because generally high frequency coils are built using many turns of
slim wire, while lower frequency coils are built with larger diameter wire.
Both situations relate directly to coil geometry. Larger diameter wire
generally shows itself as a higher Q coil. It has been mentioned many times
on this list that secondary windings should be less than 1,000 turns and
higher than 500. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't have an 1,100 turn
coil that won't perform, on the contrary, it is possible to make it a great
performer, but those who have built these coils and coils of lesser turns
have had better success with "keep it under 1,000" theory. Something to
consider.
Bart