[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Transformer suitability for a first coil

Question :
I have assembled a lot of the items needed to make my first tesla coil and
have the following HV transformers - I would like suggestions as to the
suitability of these

1. six oil burner transformers (OBITs), most 10kV, 20mA, casing eathed
(output + and -5kV). I had though of putting several of these in parallel.
These are rated for 30% duty cycle 3 mins - ??

2. A Potted Neon 6000v,  50mA, 300W (the local neon man is friendly and has
a whole garage full of these - maybe fifty)

Is the voltage too low for consistent spark with a RQ gap ?

If I build a system with these and then change to more power / higher
voltage will the secondary have to be rebuilt as well ?

Guy Wilson
<mailto:wilson-at-vossnet.de>wilson-at-vossnet.de