[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Vacuum Tubes

Reinhard,

I don't know the reason for the two sets of filaments in the 304 tubes.
The elements are arranged with separate filament, grid and plate in a 3-6-9
12 o'clock configuration, the grids and plates connected to common
terminals.   Looks rather like a 4-leaf clover from the top of the tube.
The grid exits near the bottom of the tube; the plate out the top.

I have heard that some amateurs used to light up one of the pairs of
elements, leaving the other two dark, to be used as neutralizing capacitor
in a Class C rf amp.  I don't know much more about this tube.  The 304TL
was used extensively as a radar modulator in WW II, they were plentiful
after the war in surplus markets, but lately have become quite pricey.  I'm
always on the lookout for a spare or two for my modulator deck.

Stephen KJ6LH