[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

<SNIP>

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>
>   Bart -
>
>   The ionization (Spark effect) and length of the spark path in air is
> dependent on the potential (voltage).

John,
The equations Vs = Vpsqrt(Cp/Cs) and Vs = sprt(2J/Cs)
disagree. There is something
else driving spark length. When I was referring to
current as the driving factor,
I should have been clearer in my concept. Current,
power, potential, transference,
etc.. all play a role driving the longer arcs.

We do know from emperical data that as Ctop increases,
spark length at least has
the potential to increase, and does in many cases. The
relationship where a
toroids size corresponds to spark length is probably not
possible without a lot of
variables considered. Consider the singular spark
channel vs. multiple spark
channels. This seems to be a major difference between
long or short sparks. Toroid
size or capacity can be calculated for a given TC's
capability, but will that
toroid deliver many sparks or singular spark channels?
My own toroid spits out
several spark channels, and I have not yet achieved the
singular effect. Many
months ago I took several pictures. I didn't notice
during the runs, but the
photos revealed that regardless of time, length, or
potential, the spark channels
"always" exit from identical locations on my toroid.
This I assumed is due to
small imperfections. These imperfections will probably
never allow a singular
channel to develope. However, if the same toroid with
the same imperfections was
larger, the capacity would increase. Would I get the
same effect? I don't know and
never will as it is impossible to build to identical
imperfections 1:1.

Spark length seems dependent on the toroids capacity,
the TC to drive it, and the
relationships of singular spark channels to form, grow,
etc... I don't think size
alone can account for the latter. The Vs equations and
what occurs dictate that Vs
alone is not the complete driving factor and I can only
guess at the other
variables involved. It would be fantastic to design to
this accuracy, but this is
probably where experience (tried and true) does best. Vs
affects with Ctop is
definately a major area needing explanation. Good
question! Terry Fritz antenna
array measurement techniques might be a valuable tool to
identify if Vs follows
the equation (I'd guess under the same power and energy
applied - it does.).

Bart