[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

At 05:32 AM 9/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

><<   John F -
>
>>   I was happy to hear that someone had performed the input watts test.
>> There are several possibilities why you did not find an increase in the
>> input watts when you increased the toroid size. One reason could be that if
>> you were not using controlled sparks the varying streamers would make it
>> difficult if not impossible to correlate the streamer energy with the input
>> energy (watt seconds).
>
>John C, all,
>
>The difference in the spark length with the larger size and larger ROC
>toroid was so dramatic and obvious, that is not possible to make a
>mistake.  With a small  toroid the sparks were 29" max in one test,
>but 40"+ with the larger toroid.  Here i am talking about max spark
>lengths, so it is true the streamer energy is probably not correlated
>to input energy, because steamer energy is stored in the streamer
>channels, from bang to bang in unpredictable ways.  I don't have a
>problem with this, and don't feel a need to use controlled sparks.

  I was hoping that it would be possible to get some idea of the input
energy in a certain spark length by this test. For example if the spark
increased one foot and it was found that the input energy increased 2 watt
seconds we could say the energy in the spark is apparently 2 watt seconds
per foot of spark.
  This could help verify some of the other methods we are using to find the
watt seconds per foot of spark.
  JHC