[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

At 05:30 AM 9/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>
>> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>>

>>   John F -
>>
>>   I was happy to hear that someone had performed the input watts test.
>> There are several possibilities why you did not find an increase in the
>> input watts when you increased the toroid size. One reason could be that if
>> you were not using controlled sparks the varying streamers would make it
>> difficult if not impossible to correlate the streamer energy with the input
>> energy (watt seconds).
>
>There is probably a very good reason why changing the toroid didn't
>change coil power - it wasn't effecting a change of BPS and it wasn't
>effecting a change of Ep.

----------------------------
  I think we lost track of the original intent of this post. Which was when
the toroid is increased in size AND THE SPARK LENGTHENED what was the
increase in the input energy? An increase in spark length means an increase
in energy other things being unchanged.
  JHC
-------------------------------

>>   When you say that the larger toroid holds more energy for fewer streamers
>> do you mean that the toroid is storing energy from more than one bang? As
>> you know I mentioned this in a past post and there were so many members
>> that felt this was impossible they almost convinced me that I was wrong.
>> However, it may be that energy is stored in the electric field surrounding
>> the coil but not in the toroid.
>
>It would be a good idea to get an oscilloscope onto it and see for
>yourself regarding the (lack of) cumulative energy with successive
>bangs. The evidence is unequivocal.
>
>Malcolm

  How do you measure the cumulative energy between bangs?
  JHC