[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Dangers

Hi All,

There has been a lot of discussion about what is dangerous: current, voltage
or frequency. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about this. I would
say it is a combination of all three factors plus a completely uncalculateable
figure: Your bodyīs ohmical resistance. This depends on so many factors (from
what entry to which exit point, shoe material, your constitution: just to name
three!!) There is no formula or table out there which will tell you what is
safe and what not. So assume what you are doing isnīt safe and be CAREFUL.

If I had to, I would put them in the following "danger order"

1.) The frequency. 50/60Hz is definately nothing to be foolish about. Anything
above 35-40 volts CAN kill you under the right circumstances.

2.) The amperage. Under the right conditions a welding transformer (i.e.: 36
volts unloaded and 100 amp capable) WILL again kill you.

3.) The voltage. If the total voltage is high enough (say a big TC.. low
current, high frequency) will fry you under the right conditions, even without
a strike to the primary.
Bill once said his TC will get a 2x4 to catch fire in under a second. Imagine
if your were struck by such an arc..... UUugh !!  You may or may not notice it
right away (your nerve system canīt react to HF), but your body will take
damage from a hit.

You CANNOT say HZ, V or A are singely responsable for death, shock, etc (i.e
the danger)

An igntion coil (GMīs HEi e.g.) puts out 50,000 V -at- .5-1mA. This will be quite
painful, but (assuming no health defects like a pacemaker) it wonīt kill you
A 5kv OBIT on the other hand with 10mA (both being 50W) could kill you under
the right circumstanes.

I would say take all three factors into consideration and just check, double
check, AND triple check everything before getting foolish (perhaps for the
first and last time)

Alfred wrote:
"John, I would hope that most of us are smart enough to be wearing rubber
soled sneakers or the like when working with any kind of electronics!"

Hi Alfred:
Rubber soled sneaker wonīt help you a bit at high voltage. If you were to
touch a pig (even accidently, a pig doesnīt care abou this !!!) wearing your
rubber snubbers, the voltage would go thru your arm to your legs and right out
of your soles to the next ground. Not sumthin I would want to try.

STAY SAFE Teslaphiles!!!

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard