[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC Supply

Tesla List wrote:

> I am not EE based, but seem to remember it is possible to retard the phase
> angle of a mains supply.  Is this true ?   (or am I really losing my mind
> as the wife thinks)

You can make three phase power from single phase by building a phase
shift network. This technique is used on some welders, among other
things. Another way is to use a rotary converter.

> Why not use a number of NSTs at different phase angle.  Rectify each for a
> somewhat lumpy DC-HT supply.  Then try with async-RSG.

If you've got three phase power, with NO filter capacitor, and just a 3
phase bridge (requiring 6 diodes), you'll get less than 9% ripple.

> Let me take this further.  I am currently building a larger coil, which
> would appreciate more bang than my current supply, but I'm not keen (threat
> of divorce) on getting a PP.
>
> Have genuine 3-phase to my house to supply a large air-conditioner.  Could
> use this, but will need a friendly electrician to supply parallel outlets
> with same.  IF I could phase shift AC supply to 3 NSTs (propose 10 kV / 120
> mA each) then rectify this, seems this would be a good solution.

You don't need to do any phase shifting if you've got three phase power.
The voltage between each of the phases is 120 degrees different than the
next. The real question you have is how is the three phase power wired
as Delta or Wye, and what is the voltage, so you can hook up your NST's
appropriately.  You'll only need three transformers total, BTW.