[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NSTs and The HEAT

Fr. Tom wrote; "> From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: NSTs and The HEAT
> Date: Friday, September 25, 1998 8:06 AM
>
> Coilers,
> The confusion comes from the multiple meanings we assign to the term
> "burn out the transformer".
>
> When you run a neon sign transformer un-loaded then you stand the
> greatest chance of destroying the transformer *DUE TO OVER-VOLTAGE
> ON THE SECONDARIES*."

OK, OK, pass the crow. This is what happens when you don't check your facts
and
depend entirely on a memory as hollerd' as mine.
I've dug out my old copy of "Neon Techniques & Handling" by Samuel C. Miller,
which is available from any neon supply house or Lindsey
Publications also carries/carried it.

Basically, it reiterates what Fr. Tom has stated in his post so I won't bother
to repeat it all here. There is a section that warns against underloading
the transformer relating to an insufficient length of neon tubing for its
given
rating as it will cause severe overheating. Must've been what I was thinking.
Mea culpa.

Sorry if I threw anyone a curve. And if Malcolm had been looking the other way
I just might have gotten away with it. ;-)

Sigh! A mind is a terrible thing to waste...

Daniel