[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Location (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 00:51:43 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Cap Location

At 05:27 AM 1/12/98 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  Tesla's sketch in the CSNotes (July 2, 1899) for the gap across the
transformer showed two capacitors, One was in parallel (Cp) with the TC
primary winding and the other (C1) was in series. Tesla said "The
oscillations are started by the operation of the break (gap) in the circuit
LpCp and continue much longer." There is less current thru the break and
more thru the primary when compared to the capacitor across the transformer
circuit. I have never tried this TC circuit so cannot comment on the results.

  I agree that normal gap opening would not cause damaging voltage
transients but I believe it is possible on rare occations that the gap
opening could be at micro dt and at a time of large currents in the primary
winding. However, to prove this would require destructive testing, not
recommended. Nevertheless, something of this nature is happening as
evidenced by the multitude of burned out transformers and capacitors.

  John Couture