[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Question?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:02:53 -0600
From: Zuma <mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Capacitor Question??

I am planning on makes a capacitor with nothing but aluminum plates
and mineral oil. I haven't totally decided on how far I am going to
space the plates, either .25 or .50. But my question is is this
capacitor going to be very lossy power wise? Surely it can't be worse
than glass caps. If this cap is going to be extremely lossy, would it
be worth the time to make it? I have tried making rolled poly caps
using multiple 6mil sheets and have had no luck. Using that many layers
it is extremely hard to keep the plates even on both ends and roll
it tightly. If your wondering how many layers I am talking here, there
were 15 60 mil thick sheets. I am kind of hoping the oil cap isn't that
bad because I figured that it has close to the same dielectric constant
as poly, the break down voltages are a little lower. But overall I
hope that it is not to far off base from poly!

Thanks ChrisJ.