[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil for Caps (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:21:21 -0800
From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Oil for Caps (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Jim and all,

Excellent post, Jim! The strategy of using high-dielectric constant oil
soaking a kraft paper layer, and a higher breakdown strength, but lower
dielectric constant, polypropylene (or LDPE in homebrew caps) dielectric
is a key "secret" of professional pulse capacitor manufacturers for the
very reasons you have outlined above. The wicking of the high dielectric
constant impregnant tends to fill in any microscopic gaps, reducing the
possibility of air entrapment and ionization. This higher dielectric
constant layer then "sees" a lower voltage stress, pushing more voltage
across the plastic dielectric which can safely handle it.

With the right "tuning" between kraft paper density & thickness,
impregnant dielectric constant, and multiple, thin, layers of
polypropylene (or LDPE) dielectric, an optimal combination of maximum
capacitance and maximum voltage withstanding capability can be realized
in a minimal-volume roll. While this strategy works with mineral
oil-soaked kraft paper (combined k of between 3-4), it works most
effectively with high-dielectric constant impregnants such as castor
oil, silicone capacitor oil, or proprietary (but non-PCB) oils having
combined k's in the 4-6 range.

This is how Maxwell, Plastic Caps, Condensor Products, etc. construct
their individual capacitor rolls. Series/parallel combinations of these
identical rolls are then used to arrive at the desired working voltage
and capacitance. For further information on capacitor construction, the
following references are suggested:
1. Longland, T., “Power Capacitor Handbook”, Butterworth-Heinemann,
1984, 308pp, ISBN 0-408-00292-1
2. Marbury, R. E., “Power Capacitors”, McGraw-Hill, 1949,  205pp
3. Frungel, F., "High Speed Pulse Technology", Vol I, Capacitor
Discharges, Magnetohydrodynamics, X-Rays, and Ultrasonics, Academic
Press, 1960, 620pp
4. Frungel, F., "High Speed Pulse Technology", Vol III, Capacitor
Discharge Engineering, Academic Press, 1976, 498pp

Safe cappin' to you!

-- Bert --