[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Location (fwd) A correction (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:30:46 -0700
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Cap Location (fwd) A correction

        As John Couture probably suspected, I miss quoted the numbers for
resonant rise.  With a 60mA 15KV neon transformer connected to a 0.01725uF
capacitor (no other load present), the resonant rise of the system raises
the output voltage by about 40% above what one would expect.  Thus at 120
volts input, instead of 15KV on the output I may get about 21KV.  This
stress usually will not kill a neon but doesn't help it much.  The real
problem may be the input current.  Spice modeling (which has accurately
predicted other parameters I have measured) predicts the input current to
the neon will be about 18A and the output current could go to 140mA.
Apparently, the neon's current limiting my no longer function as designed
when the output voltage and current are 90 degrees out of phase.  This will
definitely hurt the neon if the theory is correct.
        I have only tested this theory at low power due to current limits on
my equipment.  Now that the probe is working, I can briefly push the system
to check this theory out.  Since the transformer is brand new (former
testing did not go well :-(, I want to be very careful.

        If anyone has any thoughts on neons drawing high currents or
producing higher than rated output voltages when a capacitor is connected to
their output terminals, I would be interest to hear them.
        I haven't investigated power factor correction much but I fear the
power factor capacitor and the primary winding of the transformer may see
high resonant currents even though the AC input looks better.

Much to work on.......

        Terry
        terryf-at-verinet-dot-com