[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor and coil form questions (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 98 13:54:31 -0500
From: Adam <absmith-at-tiac-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Capacitor and coil form questions

>> 	Also I am about to make a new secondary, and I have both PVC and card
>> tubes available, which would give the lower losses?

Has anyone actually seen evidence that coil form losses are significant?
I can understand not wanting RF-lossy materials for your capacitor
dielectric, but it seems a bit anal to exclude them from being coil
forms.  I have used PVC and cardboard, both urethane sealed, and I see
absolutely no performance differences.  I am interested in hearing from
those who have compared PVC forms to say, LDPE or Acrylic forms.

>For the secondary tube, go with the PVC if possible.  I have used
>cardboard and it punctured rather easily and rendered my very first coil
>useless.

Punctured by an arc?  Something else was wrong if you had arcs anywhere
near the secondary itself.  I am having great success with my latest coil
wound on 8" sonotube (heavily urethaned).

-Adam