[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:28:06 -0500
From: Kevin Wahila <wawa-at-spectra-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RQ Gap (fwd)

>The RQ gap was a real chore to build and adjust, but was well worth
>the effort.  I highly recommend it.
>
>Greg

I too built a RQ gap and it works wonders for me.  About the adjusting,
well wait til you start cleaning it and readjusting it.  For me, after
about a week of usage, the copper pipes start to get black tracks up and
down the sides where it is sparking.  After a while, I need to turn up my
variac to about 30% before any sparks fly.  The more the compper corrodes,
the higher the initial voltage must be.  In order to get better output, the
gap must be taken apart and cleaned.  Besides the fact that this is a great
spark gap, I really hate having to take it apart and clean it and then
readjust it.  With the gap spacings so small, it would be quite hard to
slip some sand paper in there without disassembling it.  Just my thoughts....

Kevin