[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring secondary voltage (fwd)

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Thursday, January 22, 1998 10:06 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject  Measuring secondary voltage (fwd)

to: Malcolm

You are absolutely correct in saying that the output potential is
independent of the break rate.  Our potential measuring tests were
conducted with a pulsed ignitron tube with an external trigger (the same
trigger used to trigger the scope sweep).  The peak potential is determined
essentially by the inductance, resistance, and capacitance of the system.
These values are all determined by the geometric proportions of the system
components.  A pulsed system will accurately determine the exact output
potential of the system while increasing the break rate will produce much
longer sparks due to the previous ionization and residual ions from the
pulses that existed a few fractions of a second earlier.  We operated our 1
MEV test system in both high break rate (400 pps) and static firing.  The
static firing was used to determine max potential while the normal
operation determined the max spark length possible with the same potential
at a higher break rate.  Give or take a few inches the value of a 20 inch
dia system operating at 6.5 kva and 400 pps was a true one million volts
with 9 ft spark discharges between two 1/2 inch dia rods.  System was
running with a 34 x 8 1/2 inch dia torus.  The static firing produced spark
discharges only 34 inches long between the torus and a 24 inch dia ground
oblate.

Hope this information is of assistance.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net