[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

110, 115, 117, 120 or 125 VAC ???

From: 	Adam[SMTP:absmith-at-tiac-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, January 02, 1998 7:23 PM
To: 	tesla list
Subject: 	110, 115, 117, 120 or 125 VAC ???

I am curious about mains voltage and equipment ratings.  I have
transformers, computers, and all kinds of appliances that can't seem to
agree on what voltage they would like to be given.   110, 115, 117, 120
and 125 seem to be the most popular values, but why so many subtle
variations?  Are these different standards for different parts of the
country?  My home's service clearly measures 120.0 VAC, but my newest
variac is calibrated for 115V input.  That's why I ask.

Ditto for the 220, 225, 230, 240 VAC appliances.

-Adam

Adam Smith
absmith-at-tiac-dot-net
Epoch, Inc. Digital Music Project