[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

winding your own transformer

----------
From:  Chuck Curran [SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent:  Saturday, January 24, 1998 12:11 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: winding your own transformer

Jeff:

I used to go to the dump and get the old transformers from old TV sets.  I
would break down the core and if the 120 primary was the bottom winding, I
would then rewind these for low voltage transformers for stereo amps or
filament transformers for transmitting tubes.  At the time it was fun.  I
would not even consider today trying to wind a high voltage transformer for
Tesla work.  Simply a personal choice.  A pole pig is a much better choice
for me and the cost is reasonable.  I paid $290 for my 10 Kva 14,400 VAC pig
and the shipping ended up being about $24 to our plant.  T&R just drove up
and dropped it off here in Wisconsin.  I would suggest this before trying to
wind your own.  Good Luck either way!

Chuck