[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Any hope here?

----------
From:  Michael Baumann [SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Sent:  Saturday, January 24, 1998 9:46 AM
To:  Tesla-2
Cc:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Any hope here?

Well, I am feeling a little defeated.. I think I got a bit ambitious.
Fired up my new coil today after rebuildng the primary, and building
a new topload, and could not get breakout to save my life. With
a bump on the outside edge I did mangage to get regular 30" arcs.
I'd love to have this beast firing without the bump tho-
So I am open for suggestions!!!

Parameters:
Primary: 13 1/2 turns, tapped at 12 3/8 [ yes, the Q of this
         system is sensitive to 1/8 turn tapping] 8.25" inner
         0.25" tubing, 0.25" spacing, 30degree rise.
Secondary: 6.25" x 25" 22AWG
Toriod: 15" center-to-center, 6" Aluminum duct [covers top
        2 inches of secondary at the moment]
Gap: RQ style [1" pipe, in 2" segments, my 3" based one is
      being rebuilt]
Cap: Total of 0.0135 uf of homebrew poly plate.
Power: 2 12KV/30ma NST in parallel.

I am wondering if my topload is just too big, and if I should make a
4" based one? or if there is some trick of tuning I could use to get
breakout without the bump?
[Note that this same coil, with a 12"x3" torid produces several
 18" arcs at the same time.]

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu