[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Inductance

> Original Poster: "Steve Young" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-com>
>
> Hi list,
>
> I would like to know if the inductance of a secondary space wound to a
> given length with a given number of turns has about the same inductance as
> if close wound with larger wire but the same number of turns?

It does.

> For example, suppose I close-wind an 8 inch diameter coil with a winding
> length of 30 inches with 1000 turns of #21 wire.  If I space wind another
> coil with 1000 turns of # 23 to the same 30 inch length, is the inductance
> approximately the same as the close-wound coil?

Yes

> If someone has a Wheeler-like equation which has an additional parameter
> representing  spacing of the winding of a TC secondary, I would appreciate
> you posting it on the list.

If you examine Wheeler, he says nothing about the wire size. The only
criterion is that the coil be single layer (no overlaping turns to
form two layers.
     I've found that space winding gives one the same or better Q
than close winding (reduces proximity effect) and saves on wire costs
as well.

Malcolm