[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

something VERY WEIRD and re to Re: actual measurements & pictures of the TC in action

Terry, thanks for the reply.  So then was it sheer luck that my DMM came
so close to what wintesla predicted for Lp?  Supposedly the range of the
27x for L is low enough to accurately measure the primary L.  Certainly
the other info explains the other readings I got that didn't make
sense.  Wish I had a couple G's to plunk down on a scope and the like :(

I was shocked by the EMMC reading as well! I will keep a close eye on
this value.  I ran my coil today for 30 minutes with very little rest
time and the caps are still great! I am even running my gap a little
wider than will normally fire with just the NST in the circuit...which I
assume means the caps are seeing a little more than the 12kV rating of
the tranny.

While I'm talking about weird things, I had something REALLY weird
happen today.  I am running my gap across my NST.  The wire from the one
end of my EMMC to the primary was 10 AWG.  I had some 8 lying around and
decided to see if it would make any noticable difference.  So I replaced
the 10 gauge wire with 8, of exactly the same length.  I routed it as
close to how the old one was as possible.  When I fired up my coil,
spark length started at a puny 8-10" and immediately dropped to tiny
little ones less than .5" long.  Of course this happened before with my
two-bolt gap, but my newer gap has shown no signs of that, even after 5
or longer minute runs.  I let the coil sit a while, came back, and still
the same.  I then immediately replaced the 8 gauge with the old 10, and
voila, back to the old performance.  While the "problem" was easily
fixed, its cause has me super curious.  Any thoughts?

-Stan