[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tuning coils

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Robert Volk <smrtmny2-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Another question to you experienced coilers:
>
> Richard Quick had a post in the archives about tuning coils. My question
> is: Have any of you worked in this area? Is it possible to construct a
> tuning coil at the 3rd or 4th harmonic of the frequency of the secondary
> transmitting coil? Ir seems Tesla said this was so in his patents. Help
> from you veterans who've worked with these?
>
> Bob V

Bob,

Tesla's tuning coils were used instead of using primary taps to allow
for a degree of tuning - this additional inductance is called "off-axis
inductance". The amount of off-axis inductance Tesla actually employed
was relatively small compared to that of his primary. It is indeed
possible to use a larger amount of off-axis inductance to drive a system
at other than the secondary system's natural resonant frequency. In
patents, one typically tries to "cover all bases" by mentioning other
applications, even though there may be no obvious application (at the
time of the patent submission at least). Practically speaking, there's
really no performance advantage in doing so, particularly for heavily
top-loaded systems, since the fundamental (lowest secondary resonant
frequency) is where the most efective power transfer occurs.

-- Bert --