[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG problems, help please?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: Monday, February 15, 1999 6:04 PM
Subject: RSG problems, help please?

>Original Poster: "Dale, Martin" <martin.dale-at-ntu.ac.uk>
>
>Hello all on list.
>
>Can anyone help me find out why my new RSG won't work very well?
>
>It is an 8 gap serial compound with 8 rotating electrodes passing through
an
>insulated 6 1/2" disk, and 4 stationary electrodes on each side.
>
>All the electrodes are 1/8" Zirconiated Tungsten rods, and the gaps are
>currently set at 8 to 10 mil (thou' in UK) which is as close as I can get
>them without the risk of collision.
>
>Motor speed max. is 6000 RPM so a max break rate of 800 BPS.
>
>All 8 gaps are connected in series with heavy copper bussing between the
>3/8" brass bolts that hold the electrodes.

[snip]

>to build this thing!
>
>       Thanks   Martin Dale  TCBON   Nottingham UK

Dale, you will find that it is very possible to build a rotary that quenches
*too* much, and I'm afraid this is what you have done.  The good news is
that this rotary will make a superb gap for magnifier work.  To make it work
with your conventional coil, reduce the number of stationary gaps from 4 to
2, and I think you will see a great improvement in performance.

Bert Pool