[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: This phase shift stuff...

> 	So what kind of REAL Tesla coil system can I put together that will show
> all that phase shift, 1/4 wave, and transmission line effect stuff?
> Perhaps, it is a forgone conclusion that the secondary voltages and
> currents are pretty much in phase within a Tesla coil (there really is a
> "little" shifting).  However, if anyone has a major exception, I have the
> resources ready to pour into reproducing and studying this exception.  It
> is time to put this matter to rest once and for all...

Just a thought, but what about a helical resonator configuration... Craggs
and Meek describe them in a Tesla coil context. Essentially they are a
helix in a can. Relatively few turns, compared to the several hundred or
thousand in a classic TC. However, they are small compared to a wavelength
in free space (I have some helical resonators for 137 MHz and they are
about 1 cm long, roughly lambda/200).

One of the problems will be insulating the HV end from the surrounding can,
but you should be able to run at lower voltage to make your measurements,
and perhaps fill the can with oil?