[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor Idea

I thought of this the other day, it is an idea for making a capacitor
that is also like a grounded safety gap, kind of. I have seen
schematics with grounded safety gaps, and grounded safety gaps built
into the capacitors, but here is my idea:

You get a big pickel jar, or any other big jar/container, and put in
rolled polyethelyne/aluminum siding (just like whoevers design it is),
connect it like normal, and fill it with oil. Make sure the
poly/aluminum roll is tight against the container it is in, with the
aluminum side touching the glass. Then put  some kind of conducting
material around the outside of the glass, like in the Saltwater/Leyden
Jar design. Only ground the conducter on the outside.

So if higher voltage comes to the cap, it will hopefully be enough to
jump through the glass and go to ground.

Sound OK? Any thoughts? Write them!

Chris

==
...Courtesy of Yahoo! Mail...