[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cap firing voltage scope measurements question

Hi all,
         I just had to add another musing to this topic. I think the
voltage hike is really being "tuned in" by adjusting the rotary gap
phase setting for best sparks. Again, I am amazed that a NST should
take it on the nose without dying. I think the better option is to
have a stiff transformer and a separate charging reactor in the
secondary circuit to take half the charging voltage burden. Placing
the choke on the primary side of the pig achieves the same end but
then subjects the transformer secondary to the entire voltage rise.
    One can weigh up the pros and cons of where to place the inductor
thus:
                        CONS                   PROS
Secondary side - high inductance needed   takes half Vcharge burden
               - high V insulation reqd.

Primary side - low inductance needed       transformer primary and
               (transformed to a large    secondary are stressed and
             inductor by turns ratio^2)   core saturation may occur

?
Malcolm