[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Safety

Hi Brent, All,
    I wouldn't use it, ever!  I prefer a shorting stick consisting of
a shepard's hook of 1" brass strap connected to a long insulated pole.
The hook is connected to system earth ground with a piece of heavy
braid.  The first step in my safeing procedure is to check all system
grounds for continuity and then disconnect and interlock all external
energy sources. Next I put on safety goggles and ear protectors.  Then
I check to see that the shorting stick ground is connected to ground
(rembering Cockroft and Walton).  I now touch all points on the system
to make sure all energy storage sources are discharged, working from
the low potential end of the system to the high potential end. This is
to ensure that I am as far away as possible should a heavy discharge
to ground occur.  I now start over at the low potential end of the
system.  This time as a point is touched with the shorting stick it is
also hard grounded with a clip lead.  Working toward the high
potential end of the system each point is in turn touched with the
shorting stick and then grounded with a clip lead. When finished the
shorting stick is hung from the highest potential point of the
generator (the 2.5 MegaVolt Marx has a 20 foot long shorting stick!).
All connections are visually rechecked.  On a large Marx I may spend
several minutes visually rechecking the grounds before allowing test
personnel to enter the area.

     Be safe.