[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave Caps

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Russell Milliken" <bigruss-at-orcon.co.nz>
>
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use a microwave's magnetron
smoothing cap
> in a TC. The cap I have is a 1uF 2100Vac cap with various words and
numbers on
> the side including "diarylethan" and "resonance capacitor". I was thinking 10
> in series might be OK, but was also thinking that it can't possibly be this
> simple!
>
> Can anyone help?

Russell,

You're right - it isn't this simple! Microwave caps are made from Mylar,
and are quite lossy at RF frequencies. Metal-canned mylar caps have been
known to explode in Tesla Coil service, showering the immediate area
(and the coiler) with hot capaitor guts and oil... not a pretty picture!
:^)

Ideally, you need to use pulse capacitors made with a polypropylene or
polyethylene dielectric. Other less desirable dielectrics that are
usable include mica (expensive), or ceramic (lossy and prone to drifting
of capacitance as they heat up), or glass (quite lossy).

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --