[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Run Failure, need help

	Today, Sunday 5/2 I tried out my coil for the first time.  First what
happened is I put the secondary coils ground wire and the primary coils
power wire through the same hole in the base, and that was a big problem!  I
got smoke, burning, etc.  After that I made a different hole, and brought
the first primary coil turn further from the secondary and cured that
problem.  The problem that I have now is major arcing up and down the
secondary coil.  I suspect that it is due to the poor surplus wire that I
have been warned about.  If that is the case then I will apply a few liberal
coats of polyurethane with a brush.  Would it possibly be a coupling
problem?  Would it help If I raised the coil up a notch?  Thank you for the
help in that area.  now for more general questions.  What widths should I
start the spark gap and safety gap at?  The safety gap does not fire at all,
and the static gap fires very often, almost continual.  Another question I
have deals with the moveable tap.  When I tried putting it in both in the
middle and the outside, nothing works.  No arcing, no sparks in the gap,
etc.  I am very excited, though, because I think that it is working fairly
well for a first run.  Thank you for the help,

-Andy Cleary