[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why have grounding

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Brent L Caldwell <stretchmonster-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> All coilers:
>
>         I understand what an earth ground is, and what it does, but is it
REALLY
> necessary?  I have seen a tesla coil produce meter long streamers without
> an RF ground.  I've also seen smaller coils (such as my first one)
> resonate without one.  Could someone edify my knowledge (or lack thereof)
> on this?
>
>                                                         Brent

	I know some of the "big boys" will object to this, but can't see any
fundamental reason for a GOOD ground, other than the very important one
of protection from getting across the primary transformer circuit via an
arc and 60 cycle conduction along the ion trail.  There is the question
of RF interference, but that is not fundamental to the operation of the
TC.  Can't see why the streamers would ever be improved by having an
effective ground plane more than a few coil heights in diameter.

Ed