[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: more rsg/cap queries

> Original Poster: Robin Copini <rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>
>
>  what happens if, while the cap is charging on the down side of the
> incoming AC waveform,(or the upside of the reverse) - and does not
> discharge due to insufficient voltage across the presented gap - it is
> presented with the now 'reversed' polarity of the AC waveform after
> having gone through it's zero point? I mean, all stupid questions
> allowed of course, it is seems to me that for at least a very short time
> the cap and transformer are presenting opposing polarities. Is this
> right? if it is what happens during this time?
>
> Regards
>
>  Robin Copini,
>  Adelaide - South Australia.

 If the gap fails to fire on one cycle,  the capacitor voltage will swing
back to a higher voltage on the next half cycle.  The energy used to
charge it in the positive direction is not lost,  it just results in a
bigger negative bang,  next time the gap fires.  I think the voltage is
41% higher.  since E=0.5xCxVxV the energy for this bang is double.

Remember the charging circuit is resonant,  think of a childs swing,  or a
pendulum.

						Richie.