[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Stupid Question(From a different guy)

>OK i know this sounds stupid..

Don't feel bad, I hold the record here for stupid questions ;-)

>	But how do you measure your spark length? i can't imagine one going
>up to the Coil w/ a tape measure and letting sparks fly at him :Þ (unless
>you
>are suicidal or just plain stupid).

Well, depending on who you ask you coucl get odds on that :-) But in
designing our HV chamber we made a series of concentric circles on the floor
of reflective tape (like on the side of firetrucks). All you do is look down
from the spark tip on the ones that are the closet to horizontal and you've
got a decent measurement.
If you contact your local police dept. you can probably get some for free,
ask for Prismatic Tape. We used 1/4" for the numbers (1',2',3'...) and 1"
tape for the circles. A piece of 1"X1"X10' lumber with a nail through it
makes a geat compass. Just move the nail out 1' for each new ring and put
your coil in the center when you're done.
  Also it should look *reallly* cool when runing your coil.

>	Another question is what exactly does that Faraday cage do?

It acts as a shield for electromagnetig radiation. Radio waves,Corona,
etc...
how does it work?
Just like a cage. Everything that tries to get throught instead of being
held out, gets sent to ground. You have to ground your cage well. We used a
seperate ground and rod from the TC.

and most importanly, if its a valuable thing to have.. how do u
>build one really really fast and cheaply w/ a low budget?

Chicken wire and 2X4's....just use 2 layers offset 50% (you'll see) the
chicken wire is like a net of hexagons about 1" wide. One of our design
criteria for the cage was that the smallest hole be 1/2" so we doubled it
up. This is the ideas we were told by one of the proffs here, we havent
tested it yet and I'm a Geek not a God. Anybody have any other suggestions?
We think it willl work, but untill we prove it I just wanna be sure.

The Coronaphile
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group
344 Ionia SW