[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OZONE !!!!!! ( Warning, length )

At the risk of boring everyone to death and being completely off topic.....

ozone is a pollutant of concern in the UK and europe with a standard set at
50 parts
per billion as a running eight hour mean (97th percentile). I think it is
0.12 parts
per million in US.  It is mainly produced by the action of sunlight on Volatile
Organic Compounds (VOC). It also reacts in very complex ways with NO2 (Nitrogen
Dioxide and other oxides of Nitrogen (NOx).  Oxides of nitrogen are also
produced
when the Tesla Coil (back on topic) discharge literally burns the air to
make many
complex oxides of nitrogen. If you can smell ozone it is many times higher
than the
50 ppb objective.

As far as the health effects are concerned, the fact that NO2 (another
regulated
problematic pollutant) and O3 are present together in what I would venture to
suggest are very high concentrations (certainly when a TC is operated
indoors) means
that people with any respiratory vulnerability (and that includes the
smokers among
us) should not expose themselves to the cocktail more than is necessary as the
pollutants willl act in synergy, excaserbating each others health effects.

I used to work for a company selling ozone generators for uses in refridgerated
trucks for killing mould on fruit, and I remember that the humidity of the
air had
an effect on ozone production (high humidity (55 -90%) can reduce ozone
output   by
as much as 50%. ) so those people living in swamps maybe better off  ;-)

I always open all windows and doors after running the TC even for a short time

FWIW I think the danger of catching some serious defibrillation from a TC far
outweighs the risks posed by O3, NOx et al (not to say that those risks
should be
disregarded).

thanks for listening

Steve Crawshaw

Air Quality Management Officer
Bristol City Council

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Brent L Caldwell <stretchmonster-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Chris M.
>
>         narrating in spooky voice......
>
>         You are running your electrical device, and suddenly, above the
smell of

SNIP