[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: an interesting idea...

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
> vacuum spark gaps are a well known technology. I believe that several
> people have used the core of a vacuum circuit breaker (from mfr's like
> Joslyn, for instance) to make a static gap. The problem would be heat
> dissipation and quenching.
>
> And, no, air isn't required for a spark to jump.
>
> >       I've seen the listing from various people about a "quiet spark gap"
> > and i've thought of a design. now if i'm not mistaken, sound waves travel
>
> > using Airwaves. Now what would happen if i were to stick a sparkgap in a
> > Vaccum environment? wouldn't there be no noise since it can't travel? the
>
> > only concern w/ this design is if the sparks would still occur. As we all
>
> > know, fire needs air to ignite, but do sparks need air to jump?
> > thanks
> > alan

---------------------------------------
Jim

Richard Hull did this about 5 years ago, we used a single pole
of a 12kV vacuum breaker.  We adjusted contacts open with a 1/4x20
lead screw about 1mm at let it go.

It worked fine up to about 500W (Richard jump in if my memory is
short  :^)  ) but ran HOT AS HEL...  If the vacuum contacts could
be forced air cooled, and the contacts were large enough, you could
be talking a decent gap to handle powers up to low kilowatt range
(3 to 5 maybe).  Heating will quickly kill the vacuum seals if
cooling can not be accomplished.

Regards

DAVE SHARPE, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA