transformer cores which have a short U and a long U with ground surfaces to
mate the two halves together. They were originally held together with 2 SS
bands and a crimp. I plan to hold them together with a pair of SS hose
clamps. The "window" is 7 1/4" x 2 3/4". the legs are 1 3/4" x 2 1/2". Each
unit weighs about 30 lbs. I've run the numbers through the formulas and my
plan is to wind 2 transformers of 15kv (2 - 7500 vac windings in series) -at-
2500 watts each then run the two units in parallel  for 5000 watts total.
(I'm using
#10 wire for the primaries and #30 wire for the secondaries). Some
questions: Most cores I have seen are fairly square, these are pretty long,
will reluctance be a problem? What would be the best setup for TC use, the
primary on one leg and the secondaries on the other or a primary and a
secondary on each leg? The transformers will of course be run in transformer
oil, how much wattage could one safely wring out of this design beyond 5000
watts? As to the cores themselves, what would they cost if I didn't have a
free source? Any input is welcomed.
Thanks
Mike KB9NZQ