[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Surge protectors as silent spark gaps

Ed,  The commercial spark gap surge suppresser system:

The system is a homemade induction coil operating at 80 BPS, pumping a
pair of .001 ufd (Murata?) ceramic disk doorknob (2" dia 1" thick) caps,
paralleling a .006 ufd glass plate cap.  Primary is a twelve turn spiral
(1/8" hard-drawn aluminum wire) on a varnished wood support.  Secondary
is a 3-1/2" X 24-1/2" PVC supported coil wound with 31 AWG, silver
plated, Tefzel insulated, wire with no coatings.  Top capacity is a pair
of 12" SS mixing bowls.  Input power is about 500 to 700 watts.  Minimum
it takes to sustain white, 36 inch, secondary arcs.  Input power is 40
VDC at ~17 amps, measured with an instrument quality (X-ray machine)
iron vane meter.  Output from the induction coil is around 10 KV with
the caps across it (jumps a 3/16" - 1/4" flat copper gap).

The spark gaps get warm in operation.  I only operate for minutes at a
time (the ceramic caps are lossy and run very warm after five minutes).
I used segments of 1/4" CU tubing to connect the gaps as additional heat
sinking.  The ends of the gaps seem to be nickel plated copper with
3/16" stubs protruding from 1/2" end plates.  They seem to have very
little thermal mass, so they probably get as hot as they are going to,
in five minutes time.  Ambient was around 60 F.

They give off blue-white light in operation.

Judging from the ability to screw up electronic devices, I have the
beginnings of a fine EMP weapon here.

Take care
bob