[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Maggies & their schematics

Hi Doc R.,

> Original Poster: "Dr. Resonance" <Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net>
> If you have a medium to large coil try this experiment.  Remove the sec coil
> and place it 8-10 feet away on a suitable insulating stand.  Now tap into
> the normal primary coil and feed this to the bottom of the sec coil.  It
> does require some retuning and is a bit more difficult as you now have two
> taps to more around, but the results are very interesting.  I would ask
> anyone on the list to try this with some of their coils -- you will be
> amazed at how well this works out.   You can eventually enclosed the pri
> with taps into a large box and just feed the output over to your elevated
> sec coil.

A very interesting idea. If I understand you correctly, it would look like
this:
(please use courier to view)

Schematic #1:

                                       --------
                                       |Toroid|
                                       --------
                    P=s                   T
                    p=s                   T
                    p=s                   T
                    p=s<------------------T
                    p=s
                    p=s
x-------|----||---->P
x       |           P
x       0           P
x                   P
x       0           P
x       |           P
x-------|-----------P

x: secondary of the hv xformer
P: primary
p=s: upper part of primary being "misused" as secondary.
T: Tertiary coil (was secondary)

Schematic #2:
In comparsion here is a "conventional" maggy.

                                       --------
                                       |Toroid|
                                       --------
                   --------              T
                   |Toroid|--------------T
                   --------
x-------|----||---->P S
x       |           P S
x       0           P S
x                   P S
x       0           P S
x       |           P S
x-------|-----------P S

                     ---
                     ///

If I understood your setup correctly, it would have to be run without
a ground. While I can understand that schematic #1 WILL produce
spark output, what spark lengths can one expect? By pure gut feel
(as I have never tried this), I would think a simple 2 coil setup should
produce longer sparks and that the "traditional" maggy setup would
also produce longer sparks. Your suggested idea seems like a huge
autotransformer ("secondary" part of the primary and the secondary
coil now being used as a tertiary coil) being fed by a resonant power
source (primary coil and primary cap). I would expect the output of
this setup to be MUCH more dangerous than a traditional coil or maggy
setup, because the 50/60Hz are superimposed on top of the high
voltage output (not that I recommend taking hits from a traditional
coil setup). Could you explain your suggested setup a bit further
(i.e: why does it work and if it produces longer sparks than a
traditional coil, why)? Of course I mean spark length comparison
for equal input tank circuit (i.e. input VA and input Joules)

How do you go about designing such a system (i.e. formulas)
For a traditional maggy you would need these parameters:

Total C = (Cs+Ctoroid)(sec)+(Ct+Ctoroid)(tertiary)
Total L= Lsec+Ltertiary
FRes for the "output" side would be the function of Total C & L,
so I would need to tune the primary to this "combined" frequency.

How would I do this for your suggested setup? I.e.: how do I
calculate the capacitance of the "secondary" part of the primary?

Thanks.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard