[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: questions and new web site

On Sun, 23 May 1999 20:24:01 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: Stan <sdarling-at-columbus.rr-dot-com>
>
>Hello all.
>
>First, I would like to humbly ask the folks on this list to visit a
>new
>Tesla web site I've created at http://tesla.better-dot-org.  It is unique
>(as far as I have seen) in that it is completely dynamic and is driven
>by a web/online database.  It has a People directory where coilers can
>enter as much or as little info about themself as they want.  This
>directory can be searched online by almost anything imaginable,
>including by name, by state, and by ZIP code.  It also has a vendor
>directory which functions like the people directory and is designed to
>help locate suppliers of a desired material.  Finally, it has a web
>page
>directory where URLs can be submitted with a description and keywords;
>this directory is of course searchable as well.  I think/hope this can
>become a very useful resource.
>
>Second, TC questions. :)
>What I have: 10 60ma 15kV NSTs, sixteen inches of 24AWG wound on a
>4"dia
>PVC pipe, 50ft. of 3/8" soft copper 'fridge tubing, no toroid and no
>cap
>at the moment
>
>What size cap do I want and what size toroid?

resonance for one 12/60 NST is .0106uf . Some people pruposely go higher
than this, but most stick to the resonant frequency when the first start.
Use this much capacitance for each one of the NST's you use. So double
for 12/120.
A 6"X24" toroid would not be too small.

 Are two 60ma NSTs
>overkill on this relatively small coil?

You's need to design it carefully, but it could be done. ex: a coil of
mine with a 4.5"X16" secondary winding produces over 36" of arc. No
strikes to the primary, or secondary breakdown.

 How many turns should I need
>in
>my primary?
If one 12/60 is used, then put at least 15 turns in. Less for 12/120. I'd
go ahead and use all 50 feet. I used some 70 feet in a massive 17 5/6
turn primary for my coil. I wanted to experiment with really huge top
loads.

>1) A while back I remember reading  that it is desirable to keep the
>H:W
>ratio of the secondary at or under 4:1.  Is this true?

Yes, it is! The choice of 16" is one I didn't regret, so you shouldn't,
either.

>2) How much distance should be between the secondary form and the
>inside
>turn of the primary?

1" min,  to 2" at max

>3) What is the best method to affix/hold the turns of the primary?  I
>don't have that much access to serious tools.

Some type of high-density plastic, with spaced notches cut into them,
just large enough for the tubing to press-fit into them. Either do this
with a jig on a table saw with a dado blade, or drill a series on holes,
and then hacksaw, file and scrape out each notch. If the primary wants to
pop out, use nyln cable ties.

>4) How does one cut plastic-type materials?

Nice, sharp cutting edges, with medium to slow speeds.

>5) What is the best way to connect components (NST, cap(s), etc).
>Again, I'm no metalworker so I'm thinking wire.  What should I look
>for
>and where can I get it?

I just use insulated (don't let it touch anything!) 12 AWG stranded
copper wire, with terminal lugs crimped onto the ends.

>6) Where can I get toroids?

Go to a large building supply store, and purchase some lengths of
aluminum dryer ducting. Not expensive at all. Buy a roll of aluminum
tape, too. Use two metal pie pans, bolted bottom to bottom, as a center
form to wrap the ducting around. Use a single strip of Al tape to secure
the ends of the duct. smooth down the tape's edges, and that's all you
need for a fine, functional toroid

>Well thanks to anyone who answers my dumb questions.

No one (or thier questions) who attempts to build a tesla coil should
ever be considered dumb!

With silent lightning in my hands,
-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich
visit my HV page!
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]