[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

New MMC cap candidate

Hi Terry -

I've been following the MMC evolution with much interest, and have been
doing some research on candidate caps and availability.

I came across a new cap by Evox-Rifa (Evox-Rifa-dot-com) that looks very
interesting, although it is not yet widely available.

This is their model PHE448, a polypropylene film/foil "pulse capacitor"
described as optimized for "High frequency and high voltage applications
requiring capacitors with extremely high current handling capability, i.e.
high dU/dt values".

They are currently available in 1600 VDC/650 VAC  and2000VDC/700 VAC
ratings. The maximum dU/dt rating (in volts per microsecond) is 15,000 for
the 1600 VDC model, and 25,000 (!) for the 2000 VDC model. These ratings
seem higher than for other similar polypropylene film/foil caps.

Is there any consensus the dU/dt rating is the most critical parameter for
MMC usage?

Scott Hanson
Costa Mesa, CA