[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety gaps destroyed my Neon ?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Vivian Watts" <V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Hi All,
>     It has occurred to me that my safety gaps may have destroyed my Neon
> because they DID fire.  I had two 5KV Neons in anti-phase with a common
> ground (I couldn't remove the ground).  I had two safety gaps, one from each
> HV leg to ground.  Also a further safety gap across my rotary - which did
> not fire.  My thoughts are, that say at a peak the Neons where producing +/-
> 5KV i.e. 10KV to the tank circuit.  With a bit of rise the voltage became
> say 15KV thats 7.5KV with respect to ground.  Now if ONE of the safety gaps
> fires to ground thus shorting one Neon, the tank capacitor at 15KV presents
> its full voltage across the second Neon (until that safety gap fires) and so
> may have destroyed it.  The solution I think, should have been, not to have
> centre grounded safety gaps with a centre grounded Neon set-up.
>
> Thoughts anyone.
>
> regards
>
> Viv Watts (UK)

Viv,

I have been arguing against using a grounded center tapped NST safety
gap for years because I feel this is asking for trouble as you pointed
out. You just cannot guarantee that both gaps will light simultaneously
to stop the voltage surge with such a gap system.  One half going into
the conductive state might well reduce the overall surge sufficiently to
prevent the second from lighting at all.  At the same time, a healthy
surge then becomes directed to where it can do damage.  Just my opinion.

Robert W. Stephens