[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie questions: A picture is worth....

Bob (I presume that is your name - you didn't sign!)

There is no advantage at all in swapping around these two components. Whichever
configuration they are in the effective primary circuit is the same when
the gap
is closed. There is also a *major* disadvantage that at the moment of bang the
HV supply xfrmr is exposed to the full force of the transient voltage peaks
from
the primary circuit. With the gap across the Xfrmr, during the bang it is
effectively shorted and far less potentially damaging voltage gets to it, and
anything that does is much more easily filtered out by your RC filter (or LC if
it is that type).

Have you got WinTesla yet? Looks like you need to look again from the beginning
at the whole tuning scenario. What is your PSU? I think i remember it being
12kV
-at- 30ma - you should get much more than this if you tune properly - should be at
the very least 2 feet!! Perhaps you are tuning on a harmonic? Are there any
racing sparks?

Keep trying,

Alex Crow