[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Grounding a TC

>Original Poster: "p.c.w.r. notebaart" <p.notebaart-at-hccnet.nl>
>Dear Sir,
>Is it possible to connect the ground terminal of the secundairy coil to
>the ground wire of the electrical 230 V of my home? It is not possible
>to drive a stake into the ground because I am living on the second
>floor.
>
>Peter.

There is a great deal of controversy over this.  I know that Ed Wingate does
what you suggest with enviable results.  It seems to me that there would be
considerable inductance between a wall  plug's ground pin and the true earth
ground and that a large voltage would be developed across this inductance by
the secondary current.  How much this voltage diminishes the streamers is a
matter of speculation.  However, it would also seem to me that a voltage
developed across the building's ground wires would be extremely unhealthy
(i.e. dangerous) for appliances plugged in elsewhere in the building.  Of
course, this depends upon the power level of your coil, a very small one
should have no problems at all.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA