[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Scott gap - improved construction?

> I was thinking how to make the slots with only a power drill and hacksaw

I have another suggestion for solving the problem of aligning the tubes -
use Aluminum U-Profile instead of grooves. Placing the U-profiles side by
side on one G10 (or whatever) plate and glueing every other to the plate
should align them quite perfectly. The tubes can than be fixed using only
a single bolt through both the U-profile and G10. The extra AL pieces also
serve as additional heatsink.

I will try some ASCII-Art:

  uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu  AL profile pieces side by side
  ---------------  Base plate
  ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Then (or before , as you like) put the loose pieces uppside-down between
the fixed ones and glue them to the other base plate. You then have two
structures like this, perfectly aligned:

  u u u u u u u u
  ---------------

Next, drill one hole per AL piece trough both AL and base plate, put the
copper tubeing pieces on the AL U-profiles and fix them with a bolt:

  O O O O O O O O
  u u u u u u u u

I think this greatly reduces the need for special tools and equipment, as
well as for extremely careful measurement - what do you think?

  Jochen

  Jochen Kronjaeger                     Kronjaeg-at-stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de

  The High Voltage Page  http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~kronjaeg/hv/
    info, plans, photos of home-built HV-sources, sparks, HV-experiments