[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil ideas for experiments

> > Nitrogen laser are powerful easy to built  and radiate in the UV region
> of the
> > spectrum (perfect for ionization )
> >  http://www.repairfaq-dot-org/sam/lasercn2.htm#cn2saf
>
>     Only great for single shot experiments, such as coin crusher, etc.
and
> TC's in
> SS mode.  Pulsed Nitrogen lasers cannot be operated in the khz range--I
*think*
> because of the characteristics of the laser plasma.
>             --Mike

More important is that a N2 laser doesn't put out high enough peak powers
to ionize the air (except possibly if focussed down to a very tiny point).
I have a photograph of a pulsed CO2 laser breaking down the air along the
beam. The laser cavity volume is about 40 liters(!), and, as I recall, the
pulses were on the order of 20 kJ (with a very short pulse length, on the
order of nanoseconds).

BTW the reason high reprates are hard with a N2 laser is that warm N2
doesn't lase.