[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: triggered RQ type SG???

All,

Interesting discussion!

How about triggering from the center of the array of gap electrodes
using a linear Vacuum Cleaner or Scott gap and an odd number of
electrodes. For an NST-driven system, the ends of the spark gap array
will be driven equally above and below ground. An AC-coupled HV trigger
pulse could be injected at the middle gap electrode of the array. This
should induce breakdown of one half of the gaps, thereby triggering the
subsequent cascade breakdown of the remainder.

One could even "enforce" 1/2 of the applied potential at the center
electrode by means of high resistance HV equilizing resistors, similar
to the approach used in commercial field distortion gaps. And, by using
high velocity airflow through the gaps, fairly good quenching could also
be assured. The HEI coil could be driven from a pulse source that's
referenced to the incoming AC line but adjustable relative to phase to
adjust triggering. This idea's beginning to sound like it has potential
(NPI)... :^)

  To NST                 To NST
  HV bushing             HV bushing
   ----0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0----
    |          |           |
    |          |           |
    |--/\/\/\--o--/\/\/\---
        R1     |    R2              R1 = R2 = 50 Meg or greater

             -----
             -----  30 kV+ doorknob cap

        to HV trigger source
       (ignition or HEI coil)