[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: triggered RQ type SG???

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:54:21 -0600, you wrote:

>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>
>Not a bad idea...
>
>Fruengel had a similar design with a bunch of ferrite toroids around the
>main lead that would saturate when the main discharge occurred.  When the
>trigger pulse happens, the ferrites aren't saturated, so the inductance is
>high, but then, when the gap breaks down and the current increases.
>
>You'd probably have plenty of series impedance in the secondary of the auto
>ign coil.  You could always couple through a cap.  I don't think you'd need
>the spark gaps, the rise time of the auto coil pulse is plenty fast enough,
>because what you are really looking for is the overvoltage anyway.  An HEI
>coil puts out 40 kV, and if your gap is set for ca. 25-30 kV, you're all
>set.  You could always use two coils in series anyway.
>
>Here is the big question: Quenching... will the RQ type gap quench quickly
>enough.  One advantage of rotary gaps is that they force quenching.. and
>allow the use of DC supply.  I suppose you could use a charging inductor, or
>some sort of staged gap.. Fire the first gap to complete the primary LC
>circuit. After it has rung down, the gap self quenches.  Then fire the
>charging gap from a stiff DC source to charge the C back up. When the C is
>charged, the charging gap shuts down.

.. but of course the main  gap distance can be higher when using a
triggered discharge, so quenching ought to be better. how much better
is of course the question. At the very least you should be able to get
more airflow through a wider gap.

I wonder if there is any scope for using a gap upstream of the airflow
so you generate the ions then blow them into the main gap. I suspect
generating enough ions would be a bit of a problem....!